Monday, September 5, 2011

Spain is like my favorite


It is a beautiful day in Spain. The rain has left after 2 straight days of overcast, the sun is out, and the people are active cluttering the streets. I think I really like it here. I get more confidence walking around each time I leave the house. Did I tell you guys about my senora… I cannot remember so I will talk to you all about her in detail.

My senora (mother) loves to talk to us about what we are doing for the day and make sure we know the details of what we should do while we are out. When students live in Spain, they are treated like they are 12 again and are given much direction on how to live “the best life”. I am living Abbie Vaughan and we are having the best time talking about our personal lives in English and living the chill Spain life together. We have a lot of rules as we live in this house but we are getting used to it. Here in Spain electricity and water are very expensive so me, as a lazy American, always have to retrace my footsteps when it comes to these things. I now take much shorter showers because I need to pay attention to water use and I also turn the lights off BEFORE I leave a room instead of walking around the apartment with all the lights on. Our apartment we live in is very small but it is very decorated. It is funny because the biggest room in the house is used for special occasions so it is only used 3 to 4 times a year. For a family to have such small quarters, I would think all the space would be used. I am an American with opinions, what a surprise from a blunt girl like me, huh? We now have keys to our house but still no telephone number for this house. It is one rule that we will be told information as it becomes necessary. This is hard for me because I want to please my senora but if I make a mistake I know she will tell me straight up. My senora is not afraid to share her opinion, Let me tell you!

What have I been doing lately? Well last time I talked to you I was just starting my life here. It feels like I have been here for a LONG time but it has been four days. I have enjoyed finding new places and meeting new people. There is a girl names Kristen from Biola and I had a great convo with her about people and how they work. It was great to be me and find someone not from NWC who loved chatting deep. Yesterday I spent 8 hours doing a photo scavenger hunt around the city. Literally, one of the most fun adventures I have gone on. I rode the metra, ran through the streets, and reminded my group, “we can take dumb pictures because we are never going to see these people again.” Thanks to my mom I have said the last part of that sentence daily; she always tells me that when I get shy about something. My mom… I talked to her last night. She is so beautiful to me. She LOVED using skype and messing with the camera. Literally people, my mom is stuck in a grown up body but really loves being crazy and unique. She is my favorite person to learn from for sure. She lives life very well. Back to the photo hunt, my team won. We now get to go to a movie and get snacks fo’free. Love that. In Spain, there are gummy bars in the theaters so I know I will be chillin’ there for awhile getting the best yuck for me. Have I gotten lost? Absolutely. Have I been scared for my life? Nope. It is safe here? Come visit and I will tell you.

My faith you ask? Well, it is Sunday and I didn’t go to church. Not because I did not want to but because Abbie, Breanne, and I did not find it in time to go. We instead did personal devotions and then talked about what we were taught from God during that time. We laughed, we cried, and we were able to really be honest with one another. It was probably my favorite moment so far. Scenery is great and so is this country but I know that people and conversation will always be closet to my heart when it comes to beauty. I will share what I learned from God today…. I learned that I care a lot about what people think of me and that I should think more about what God thinks of His lil girl. Here in Spain is a lot like Wisconsin Dells in the summer. Spaniards HATE Americans, no joke. It is a custom for people in Spain not to smile at one another but when they realize after talking with you that you are from America, they literally turn off their pleasantness and create a wall between you and them. This is a general comment, I have met people that treat me with respect but the general public hate me. I cried over this because I want to get to know the culture better and knowing that I am not wanted here makes me feel insecure to approach people about directions or about their puppy. God spoke to me today and said…. “I am with you always, do not cast your life onto flesh but focus on the joy you have in me. I will fill you when you are empty”. What a God

2 comments:

  1. lo siento for the font. I copied and pasted it. embrace the words not the look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. even if the spaniards don't pick up on your awesomeness, know that I love you mucho grande!

    ReplyDelete